1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Colt 1900 38 Auto
03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Colt 1900 38 Auto
Hello all, new to the site so if I make a faux pas, please excuse me.
A friend of mine has been recently cleaning out his basement and came across a pistol his father gave him. He asked me to clean it for him, but after receiving it from him I realized this pistol may be worth much more than either of realize and I do not want to cleaning it, if doing so would devalue the pistol. So I am posting this to get some advice from other who are more knowledgeable than I.
The pistol is a Colt 1900 38 Rimless, the serial number on the gun is 49, it looks to have rosewood grips, it has the original untouched sight safety, and the convex plug below muzzle. It has what appears to be the original leather holster. I will attempt to post picture with this post also. Should I attempt to clean this or have him send it to a gun smith? Any idea on value? (for insurance purposes only) Being it was a gift from his father he has no intentions of selling it, as I was told. Of note, I was told his father was in WWI so it may be government issue.

Thank you in advance.
SJ

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 06:01 AM
RE: Colt 1900 38 Auto
What an awesome looking gun. I think you need to get this one appraised by a pro. It could be a real jewel. Look at this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...=399141743

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!

Signwelcomespin

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-18-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 04:48 PM by Storm.)
Thank you Alleydude, I was also given this link to another nice one, Serial # 11
http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3327-358/

By suggestion, I have it soaking in Kroil and will attempt a test area with bronze wool to see if i can clean it up. The owner has decided to contact some auction houses on appraisals.
09-13-2014, 10:11 PM
In my resource manual I get this gun at between $1450.00 and $6000.00. With the holster You need to get the history written up on the gun and notarize it as the province will bring the price up on it. Without seeing the gun in person it does to be in good condition so it should bring a premium price. But in some auctions it could easily bring 5 figures I do believe.