1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1974 Colt MK IV 70 series
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
1974 Colt MK IV 70 series
First off I like to thank anyone who can point me in the right direction to a possible value.

My friends father died and left a beautiful Colt Govt MK IV 70 series, serial number 70G61953. For what I can tell from my research (and I apologies upfront for not having photos) it's a all original 1974 1911. The firearms blue book says the weapon in NIB condition was about a grand and on gunbroker.com it appeared that similar guns sold for anywhere from 500 to a few thousand but those are not made in 1974. I know the previous owner was a a avid gun collector and the pistol looks amazing. I don't believe the original packaging is still around. We where hoping it would fetch a grand to help with funeral cost but does anyone have any knowledge about this weapon?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
RE: 1974 Colt MK IV 70 series
Garth,

First, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a great gun there. 1911's are probably one of the most diverse segments of the gun collector market because so many variables apply (which is why I have ducked putting them in the price guide thus far). This is also the reason why I am going to play dumb and refer you to the real experts at the 1911 Forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/

I would recommend getting some good, close-up pictures of the gun including every stamp or mark on the gun. These little things can make a big difference in many circumstances so leave nothing out. The guys on the 1911 Forum can really give you a better idea.

With that said, I would really LOVE to see some pictures myself.

And again, Signwelcomespin

Good luck!

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: 1974 Colt MK IV 70 series
I too, have a 1974 Mk4 series 70 in bright nickel finish, which is very rare
in that model. I bought it new in 1975 and have kept it in very good condition.
This model gun, I am told, always sells for $ 1000.00 or more, in very good condition.
In pristine, unfired condition, has been priced at around $2500.00
I'm trying to get a price nailed down for my rare nickel finished model.
Find all posts by this user