1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shipping antique savage rifle?
11-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Shipping antique savage rifle?
Hi All,
I've never owned any form of gun before...
I recently inherited a model 99 savage rifle (serial #999- arthur savage jr. was my godfather) in flawless never-fired sort of condition. However it's on the east coast and I'm in california.
Can anyone give me some ideas of what I need to do to ship this rifle from the east coast, and be able to own it legally in california? Any advice about keeping it safe in shipping? Additionally, how much might this rifle be worth and do I need to insure it?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2012, 08:37 AM
RE: Shipping antique savage rifle?
First off, welcome to the forum. You have a complicated set of questions. First off, you should tackle the legalities of owning a gun in California, which is undoubtedly one of the toughest states to legally own a firearm. Check with that states laws and find out what it takes. A call to a local gun shop should answer that question.

While you have them on the phone, tell them what you plan to do (about shipping it into the state). They have most likely handled such transactions, and for a small fee will accept the gun (here in Michigan it's usually about $35 to $75).

Then the issues is who will ship it? I think UPS will ship it, but they get real funky about shipping guns. They may charge a significant fee if they know it's a gun. Some people get around this by either a) not telling them it's a gun, or b) taking the gun apart and calling the contents "Machined Parts". I am not recommending either method, just stating what I have heard done. The easiest thing here is to call a local UPS store and ask. Check FedEx as well, their policies may be different.

Good luck! I don't think your gun will end up being a free gun in the long run, but it will still be worth it in the long run. That Savage 99 is a sweet gun with a large following.

Post pictures when you can!

Cheers

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Welcome to Forum
Like 'Dude said, you NEED to check with a Local Gun Shop and see if they'll handle a transaction for you. You also need to realize that this IS NOT a "Antique" Firearm. Antique Firearms are considered to be over 100yrs old. If it shoots a Modern round of ammo, it is considered a Modern Firearm. Antique Firearms are Precussion/Flintlock/Cap and Ball and probably some others. Reproductions, even new, fall under this catagory in how to being shipped safely, and the way they have to be registered(if at all) in your State. All States have different shipping, registering(owner) considerations before acquiring any firearm. Cannons are considered different Firearms altogether. You need someone on East Coast to get with their local Gun shop to see what is needed on their end to help with this endeavor about shipping and plenty of INSURANCE for such a valuable/low numbered rifle. (Insure) it at least for "minimum" the replacement cost by getting quotes from Gun Shops that have "Trade In Values Books" to give a figure of what a piece of history this rifle is worth. Good Luck
Also Didn't happen if no Pictures posted.
Del
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
(11-29-2012 10:29 AM)Delbert Wrote:  Also Didn't happen if no Pictures posted.
Del

Gotta agree with Del... Without pictures, I declare shenanigans.

Tongue

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2014, 08:07 PM
First things first. You will need to find an FFL dealer in your east coast state. He/She will know the law and have the form for shipping the gun to anywhere you want to ship it even to California. It will have to be shipped to dealer or another FFL holder at that location. The usual cost of this is anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars for their service. You said this was a gun gotten during the war. Check the serial number If it is below 450000 it is considered a curio or relic according to the new blue book of gun values. This means it can be sent by anyone holding a license in that field also. As far as price I cannot tell you one without see the gun or seeing close up pictures. But it values anywhere from 2,ooo.oo to 2oo.oo. It is all in condition, caliber and care of the gun. Hope this helps.