1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
colt 1911 gov. 45 acp.
08-25-2012, 11:34 PM
colt 1911 gov. 45 acp.
I bought this colt 1991 from a buddy and I need to try and narrow down the price. I've been told between 700-1300. That's no help to me. I think its around a 1966 serial # 306866-C. It has a 1 on the right side of the trigger gaurd and a 0 on the left. it also a making I'm not sure what it is. It's a triangle and it looks like maybe another triangle inside. Maybe it's a double strike of the triangle. the triangle is on the left side of the trigger gaurd low by the the grip. I sure could us a little help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2012, 07:23 AM
RE: colt 1911 gov. 45 acp.
Welcome to the forum, Capt. Stan. I have a Colt 1911 with a "C" suffix that I paid $695 for but it is in less than mint condition. You make not mention of condition on yours, and pictures always help. How about some glamor shots of that old beauty and maybe we can give you a better idea.

Again, Signwelcomespin

Cheers

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2012, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2012 02:26 PM by capt. stan.)
I got couple of pics. There is a touch of surface rust(we are on the gulf coast and its in a truck). I can't score the blue but I would say it's in "good" condition. What does the C in the serial # mean? was I correct with the 1966 year? What about the triangle below the trigger on the left side?
Any info would be great. Any links to find info on my own would also be great.
Thanks
(08-26-2012 02:15 PM)capt. stan Wrote:  I got couple of pics. There is a touch of surface rust(we are on the gulf coast and its in a truck). I can't score the blue but I would say it's in "good" condition. What does the C in the serial # mean? was I correct with the 1966 year? What about the triangle below the trigger on the left side?
Any info would be great. Any links to find info on my own would also be great.
Thanks

I think I may have this posting picture thing figured out.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

08-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Seeing that Colt, I would put an estimate from $450 to $550. The blueing would be classified around 50 to 65% due to rust. No matter what caliber or model that gun is, RUST IS ENEMY of any firearm and lowers any value immediately. CONDITION IS EVERYTHING when it comes to firearms. If rust is on outside---it's on inside also, and has started pitting of metal. If that gun was around 90% and good deep blueing, and well oiled like it should be, it would be worth between $1000 and $1500. I know that it says "Government Model" on slide, but I've heard someone say on other forums, that when there's a "C" in the serial #, it is stamped for sale as a "Civilian" model, but in Government style configuration.
Del
08-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I might be tempted to call it a little higher, maybe in the $550-625 range. I think a little oil rubbed into it will make it significantly better, without ruining it further. Do a search on Gun Broker completed auctions and see what comes up for Colt 1911's in that era. Be sure to only look at the prices they sold for, not what the seller was asking.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2014, 05:11 PM
In those pictures, it looks like it's nickel plated. If it is, that would increase the price a great deal. Nickel plate is very rare.