1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Locating your First Gun
06-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Locating your First Gun
Ok people I'm new to this. I am looking for my first handgun and i limited it down to a few guns to choose from. I am looking for anyone of these 4 Taurus Handguns, PT908, PT911, PT92, and PT99. I was curious, how do i go about talking or finiding a place that can locate and sell me one of these guns? I live in Las Vegas so it shouldn't be that hard to find one.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Locating your First Gun
(06-07-2012 05:16 AM)Jazzylay20 Wrote:  Ok people I'm new to this. I am looking for my first handgun and i limited it down to a few guns to choose from. I am looking for anyone of these 4 Taurus Handguns, PT908, PT911, PT92, and PT99. I was curious, how do i go about talking or finiding a place that can locate and sell me one of these guns? I live in Las Vegas so it shouldn't be that hard to find one.

Welcome to the forum. Go to Google and search Gun Shop Las Vegas, I am sure you can find a gun shop near you.

Good luck, I recommend the PT92. We own two and they are fantastic guns based on the Beretta 92. PT99 basically the same thing.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Welcome aboard Jazzylay. If you find a gun shop, private Gun Smith with FFL you like, or even a Pawn Shop that deals with "modern" firearms, but they don't have the type gun you like, BUT they can do gun transfers/registrations from other dealers/sellers then ask them what price they get for this service(it varies from $20 to $75) and if they can/will work with you on setting up an account, for if and when you find any weapon on the website such as Gun Broker/Guns America or even purchases from friends, and how they need to be contacted to know you purchased, and what's needed from them AND you. Good luck
Del
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I too am looking for my first handgun. Would like information on Glock 9mm and what kind of recoil it has. I know nothing of gun ownership though have shot guns into targets in the past. Would like to know the procedure for taking a gun to a firing range also, ie. unloaded and cased? that makes sense, anything else?
06-14-2012, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 01:19 PM by Delbert.)
What I would do Whimisical, is join a Glock Forum and ask the experts there, as I know nothing about a Glock. What I do know about pistols(or rifles for that matter), and this goes for any out there, is that the smaller the framework the gun is, AND the larger the bullet that goes into it is, the more recoil you're gonna feel. So for a 9mm I would look for something in a medium to large framework for easier recoil, easier back on shot placement after firing, and if you have larger hands/fingers, you'll find that a larger framed gun will feel and fit better than trying to find where you need to place your fingers to keep control of gun when it's small. Surprisingly, if you want to CCW this weapon, there's such a selection of holsters to choose from nowadays that you can hide even some of the largest caliber guns out there. I own a Hi-Point 40S&W caliber pistol, and with my larger hands with long fingers, it's still a handful with recoil, but manageable, so a nice large framework/smaller caliber gun should be a pleasure to fire, if that's what you choose. If you don't find anything in Glock, there's Smith&Wesson, Bersa, Ruger, Hi-Point, Springfield Armory, Kimber, CZ, and I'm sure of others I'm not remembering right now. I even think there's a 1911 model chambered in 9mm if you like that style(who doesn't). Good luck and let us know what choice and of course a picture to prove it you made.Tongue
Almost forgot, ALWAYS--ALWAYS go to a range with an unloaded gun. Only exception, is if you are a CCW permit holder, and you have gun holstered, but loaded on your person, either on hip, waistband, or shoulder harness types, as it won't be pointed at any person, and only then, will gun come out of holster and barrel end pointed down range. I carry mine on my hip, but when up at range table, I'll take out magazine and open chamber, while keeping barrel pointed down range, if I can't immediately shoot at target. You should also have box of extra ammo, cleaning equipment(tool or tackle boxes work great for this) and towels with you too, for laying weapon on table between rounds for cooling off and maintenance needed.
Del
06-19-2012, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 05:50 AM by alleydude.)
(06-14-2012 01:03 PM)Delbert Wrote:  What I would do Whimisical, is join a Glock Forum and ask the experts there, as I know nothing about a Glock. What I do know about pistols(or rifles for that matter), and this goes for any out there, is that the smaller the framework the gun is, AND the larger the bullet that goes into it is, the more recoil you're gonna feel. So for a 9mm I would look for something in a medium to large framework for easier recoil, easier back on shot placement after firing, and if you have larger hands/fingers, you'll find that a larger framed gun will feel and fit better than trying to find where you need to place your fingers to keep control of gun when it's small. Surprisingly, if you want to CCW this weapon, there's such a selection of holsters to choose from nowadays that you can hide even some of the largest caliber guns out there. I own a Hi-Point 40S&W caliber pistol, and with my larger hands with long fingers, it's still a handful with recoil, but manageable, so a nice large framework/smaller caliber gun should be a pleasure to fire, if that's what you choose. If you don't find anything in Glock, there's Smith&Wesson, Bersa, Ruger, Hi-Point, Springfield Armory, Kimber, CZ, and I'm sure of others I'm not remembering right now. I even think there's a 1911 model chambered in 9mm if you like that style(who doesn't). Good luck and let us know what choice and of course a picture to prove it you made.Tongue
Almost forgot, ALWAYS--ALWAYS go to a range with an unloaded gun. Only exception, is if you are a CCW permit holder, and you have gun holstered, but loaded on your person, either on hip, waistband, or shoulder harness types, as it won't be pointed at any person, and only then, will gun come out of holster and barrel end pointed down range. I carry mine on my hip, but when up at range table, I'll take out magazine and open chamber, while keeping barrel pointed down range, if I can't immediately shoot at target. You should also have box of extra ammo, cleaning equipment(tool or tackle boxes work great for this) and towels with you too, for laying weapon on table between rounds for cooling off and maintenance needed.
Del

Delbert, thank you for responding to my inquiry about the Glock. I went to local gun shop where I found another lady who could answer questions and was herself a Glock owner. She recommended the Glock 19 9mm, which is what I purchased. I was also given the name of an instructor who specializes in instructing novices. I make no claim to know what I'm doing, the guns I have fired were shotguns again only at targets. Never needed to use for anything, but the world has changed. Today I just feel it's a good idea to have around and I got no problem w using if necessary, but going to make sure I know what i'm doing. The part about the cleaning equipment was the most informative for me as I hadn't considered it would need a cleaning that soon, so really appreciate your input, thank you. Pictures will not appear until I am comfortable w the gun, sorry I'm just that way.