1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Year and a NEW PISTOL
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Photo New Year and a NEW PISTOL
Went shopping for something small and VERY simple to operate for a new conceal carry pistol today.Spank Got it for carrying either as a vest, sock or pocket piece. Shooting it is quite manageable, but does need firm grip. It's a little Cimarron "Big Bore Derringer" in 38Spl with a spare barrel in 32Mag, that's made in Salt Lake Utah and it's 100% made in good ole USA with Full Lifetime Warranty. Here's the mandatory pics.
Del        
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: New Year and a NEW PISTOL
AWESOME! What a sweet little gun. You could hide that anywhere (though some places I would shy away from, unless you're going to prison... Doh ).

I bought the wife a Bond Arms 22Mag Derranger a year or so ago at a gun show. It's a real hoot to shoot (ha, rhymes!).

Don't think I ever posted a picture, so here it is:

Yours is far nicer. Hers is more for fun, we take it out every now and then and try to hit a target at seven yards. I don't even think there is rifling in the barrel. But like yours, it could be stuck in a pocket, sock, bra (the wife's, not mine...), or where ever.

Great gun, Del. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks Ken, when I looked down barrel at first I thought there was no rifling too, but I had a small flashlight with me, and looked again and sure enough, there's some fine rifling, which was one selling point. OOOH! I like that little piece you got your Wife. I bet it is fun to shoot. Wouldn't mind getting one of those in 22 caliber. I had been thinking about these for a long time for CCW, and I looked at a bunch of other pistols in auto and wheeled, but this Derringer just spoke to me, and I was looking for simplicity, with size and hideability, over how many rounds it holds. Trigger is a little stiff with the pull, but I think I'll look past that since there's no trigger guard. It's quite un-noticeable while carrying in jeans pocket, and not being a nice Kimber or Ruger, I won't mind putting a few scratches on it.
Del
02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Exclamation RE: New Year and a NEW PISTOL
LOVE the little Cimarron "Big Bore Derringer" in 38Spl you bought your wife. Former Lady S&W owner, now great grandma looking for a handgun touching on all my needs and desires: small, simple to operate, hideable, stylish, American made, Full Lifetime Warranty and of course with femine appeal. Thanks for the pictures! Now that she has owned it for 3 years, could she (or you) report the good, the bad and ugly on it? Will it protect a woman in most circumstances and is it EZ to use in stressful situations? Any other tips and comments are welcome! Thanks!
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Welcome GGMa1947
Now have put a few rounds downrange---if 5-10yds count as downrange. It takes some effort to pull the trigger in that you need to use a pulling down motion to get past the harsh trigger pull due to no trigger guard. That's one safety point of this type pistol along with the hammer safety of pulling it back to 1st notch(like the older Marlin Lever Actions that didn't have safety buttons), until it clicks(takes hammer off the floating firing pin).
It's a straight shooter, but does require more discipline in holding due to it's small size and hand hold. I WOULD NOT recommend this type pistol to anybody that's not seasoned with firearms for as long as I've been(about 50yrs).
If you're thinking about something for a Woman----not being racist, just cautious due to your size and strengths and not shooting as often as a Man generally does that gets to know their Weapon better. Not saying this for those Women that use shooting as a hobby or living.
I would recommend for a Woman, a nice little Semiauto 380ACP, 22LR, 32S&W or max of 38SPL.
These 4 calibers are quite useful with less recoil, lighter framework, but still plenty of stopping power due to holding up to 9 or 11 rounds, and don't require large hands to operate.
If a Revolver is found, something in 22LR, 22Mag, 32S&W, and again 38SPL are quite capable of defending somebody, but generally less firepower.
My Wife uses a Bersa Deluxe in 380ACP(holds 9 over normal 7 shot magazine). I'll admit I like it too.
Sometimes all it takes is element of surprise to prevent unwanted attacks, or preventing any harm to a Friend or Loved One, but best element of surprise is KNOWING HOW TO USE THE FIREARM, so PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE is your friend, to overcome any fears and knowing your Weapon, and how to overcome quickly, when minor problems do arise.
Also, if you do have a Weapon on you for defense, don't think of pulling it on someone to just scare them. You could be arrested for brandishing a Gun. If you pull a Weapon----Your Life is in immediate danger and you need to Put the Threat Down For Good. You have to think to yourself that it's either Your Life or Theirs-----No Time To Play Games or Thinking, What If. Make it a good choice for your Children and Family. Also think about a CCW Permit if you haven't got one already, and read up on your State's Gun Laws.
A Weapons Training/Safety Course is also useful when unfamiliar around Weapons.
Del
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi and thanks for the reply! I would never to buy a gun to stick in a drawer without practicing to the point of proficiency should the need arise to use it nor would I pull it as a "bluff". Familiarity and confidence comes from 2 essential elements: practice and gun classes and in turn these give one resolve in stressful situations. Resolve simply means - I will not hesitate to use my gun! Self questioning or second guessing will get you killed! My personal belief is most people think all they need to do is buy the gun and take it to the shooting range and they have no idea what they will do when faced with a "real" threat. I know precisely what I will do in a real threat and I have no qualms about doing it! Only a fool would look at my age and stature and proceed to intend me harm. The extensive classes I took helped me in that area though I consider a brush-up class is a must after 25 years of not using a gun for anything. I'm a realist and recognize the gun that "fits" me now is not the assortment of guns I could handle in my youth. Thus, I am using the same care and caution in the purchase of a handgun now that I did 25 years ago. Proficiency has everything to do with safety and stopping power - - perhaps more than a particular gun itself. I've read the TX Laws already and currently making plans for a "brush up" or assessment of my current skills (or lack thereof from 25 years of not using them). I found a indoor range renting at $14/hr and $10/hr for a handgun. They have a great selection in the types and calibers you listed. I think this an excellent method of getting familiar with several guns and aiding me in my final choice. I do indeed plan to get a CCW permit IF I find a gun that fits AND I reach the level of proficiency I think is needed before getting a CCW permit which is also responsibility. Otherwise, my gun will be restricted to the protection of my home and my car as allowed in TX. I researched the Cimmaron so was aware of the trigger motion and know that any gun with unusual features critical to their use has to be addressed to the level of both comfort and proficiency. You didn't answer my question about whether or not the Cimmaron is capable of protecting you (understood when used in close quarters as I would imagine it looses efficiency with each foot of distance). I like the Cimmaron for a lot of reasons but it is just one of several I will consider before purchasing for self defense. I am still trying to decide at what distance I am at most risk of being targeted for crime or harm. I'm not a collector. Rather I prefer the careful choice of the "perfect" (for me) gun that I can be so comfortable and proficient with, that should I ever need to pull it out, I will be on "automatic pilot" (so to speak) having my brain and senses in full alert with my trigger finger doing "what comes natural". For me a well chosen handgun has a triple benefit as an enjoyable sport (target practice), total confidence in personal safety and serious protection of my person, my house, and my loved ones! I very much appreciate your recommended calibers and the semi-automatic (I naturally prefer them to the revolvers) and did not know there was less stopping power with revolvers!! The SA Lady Smith and Wesson I had in the mid 1980's accommadated 2 types of bullets as well as the hollow points and was small enough for my CCW at the time. It may be more than my arthritic wrists and fingers would tolerate now. Even so, I have not been able to find a single Lady Smith & Wesson to hold, handle and assess for current ability to use. Are they just not making them anymore or do those who purchase them just never sell them? Thanks for the tips and pointers. The ACP and LR is new to me but over the coming weeks I'm sure to "catch up" since the last 25 years. Regards, GGMA 1947
02-17-2013, 07:51 AM
GGMA, sounds like you've started and kept you head in a good place after all these years. You'll find that with not using a gun for a little while, it'll come back naturally to you when you do find something.
Those Lady Smiths of years long ago, are now collectors items, and for good reason, as you've found out---they're nowhere to be found. Men who found them for their Wives, and Women found them to be a great size for packing in a purse or a Bedside drawer/under pillow.
There is however, Companies Today that make some smaller Guns that just might fit you and be of interest.
I can think of a couple being Ruger's LCP in 380, 9MM(semiautomatic) and they also make a Model called LCR(revolver), with these being smaller in size, but quite manageable for a Woman. Many Men also use these, but I have larger hands and the frameworks are very awkward for me, but the guns are very good.
Back to your question of the Cimarron being a good Lady's Gun. YES. The size is great, and with the 38SPL, having good stopping power at close distances. However, I DO NOT RECOMMEND because of trigger.
Also look at Taurus Revolvers as they make some with pretty colors of Pink/Blue/Purple that are smaller frameworks I think you'll like. Taurus and Smith&Wesson are Partners now with Taurus being built in Brazil,SA.
Some folks have had problems with certain models, just do some reviews of whatever model you might like to determine----as with all Guns, please do a review of likes/dislikes of either the Gun or the Company you might choose.
Another Gun that lots of Folks seem to like is Glock. Lots of sizes to choose from and calibers.
There's many others such as Kimber, Springfield Armory, Colt, Keltec, Hi-Point, Bersa, Makarov(old), Norinco(old), and others with pricing between $100 and $3000. Just do reviews and listen to what people have to say about it----with ownership(not through grapevine) as to it's reliability and workings.
As to the acroynms of terms I've used and I'm sure you're gonna hear.
ACP(Automatic Colt Pistol)---this is a round invented by Colt for their semiautomatic guns from years long ago, of 380 and 45 calibers.
LCP(Light Compact Pistol)
LCR(Light Compact Revolver)
MM(millemeters) such as 9mm or 10mm in type of ammo used.
SA(Single Action) type of action Gun has. Requires pulling back hammer to fire each time. Cowboy 6 shooters, but others.
DA(Double Action) again action of Gun. Mostly used in Revolvers, but some Semiautomatic Pistols also have a dual action that combines DA and SA as to how you want Pistol to first operate. Bersa Pistols come to mind with Dual Actions.
LR(Long Rifle) MAG(short for Magnum)
MACAROV(above mentioned Pistol(old) Very good pistols from long ago that requires a special ammo. It's refered as 9mm Macarov which is much harder to find, if at all nowadays. NOT to be confused for 9MM Luger(easily found). They ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
Hope this helps, good luck and keep in touch if answers are needed.
If you look on this Forum, you'll find that I and Alleydude, also have pictures of other Pistols we own, that might be of interest to you with your search. They're scattered throughout. Let Internet be a Friend for prices and reviews also, along with asking many questions when Face to Face about a Gun. This just won't be a purchase, but an investment for your Life. Remember also, a Gun Shop wants to sell you a Gun, so they will lead you off track with Puff-ery. Be firm in what you want, but listen to also what they have to say. If they have Indoor Gun Range and let you try out different models----use it in helping make decisions. Don't be afraid to walk away if you don't find what you like. Learn prices of New compared with Used to get those deals. Barter with them to throw in box of Ammo, or Holster or Range Time. Ya never know. They want to sell Gun, you have money, you have the power.
Del
02-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Wow, GGMa and Del, you folks write a LOT! Roflblack I could get this thread published for Kindle!

My wife got a Taurus 605 Revolver a while back and we both fell in love with it. It is a .357 five shot (it's only drawback, in my opinion, because it's not a 6 shot), but heavy enough to not kick you to death, yet small enough to conceal effectively. She found hers at a pawn shop practically new, with a leather holster for $350. You can shoot 38 Special if you are worried about the kick, or .357 if you want to stop a bear and kick is not an issue. My wife loads hers with 38 Special +P ammo (39 Special with a bit more punch).

Here it is, along side my Rossi 462 (Basically same gun, even made by Taurus, but just a tad bigger and a 6 shot). Hers is bottom left, mine top right. Mine looks smaller in this picture because of the perspective, but it is just a shade larger.

Good luck in whatever you choose...

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Alleydude!

Love the pics everyone puts on these posts; very helpful. You're right the perspective makes the wife's look larger. I like the style of yours better. Being a woman of taste and style, when those can be added to a functional piece, all the better! Never sacrificing function for style, it is still desirable to me to have both whenever possible. The tactical feel of smooth, rounded lines contribute to my comfort with something that might be called on to do a most unpleasant task. It probably also contributes to me making peace with necessary deadly force since I have an innate respect for all life. I don't remember so many style options when I bought my Lady S&W which may be why it was popular with the women. I am so pleased with the responses and feedback of everyone who has responded to my posts and love the pictures - so keep 'em coming. It is so very helpful and makes me feel connected to others of my thinking and beliefs. It infuriates me when liberals' flawed thinking leads to ignorant remarks about gun owners in order to promote their view of "controlling" crime. Have a great day everyone!
02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks Dude. Make that a Kindle Fire. Got one for Wifey on her B'Day last Year. She Loves it. I think a Short Story on Amazon with a $.99 tag. LOL
Del