1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Sharp Shooter" Rifle Rest
03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
"Sharp Shooter" Rifle Rest
I noticed this rifle rest at Walmart, and at just $30, I decided to give it a try, so today I purchased it, with some hope of helping me to zero a couple scoped rifles in that are LIGHT IN RECOIL. Besides, I've been needing a rifle rest, but haven't had the bucks lately for a good rifle shooting rest like a Caldwell model(future purchase). It had the Winchester name on box, but I have noticed quite a few items at Walmart with this name and others(Remington/Ruger), so it looks like a collaboration of a few gun companies and Walmart to sell items other than guns/ammo. Anyway, I got rifle rest home and take contents out of box and checked for any missing parts----all there. Noticed right away, that for $30 that this is a pretty decent rifle rest, OF COURSE, not anywhere's near the caliber of build of a "Lead Sled" type of rifle shooting rest that costs upwards of $2-400 dollars, but decent, non the less. It has very well applied baked- on paint over a square steel tubed framework, 3 leveling legs(screw posts with rubber padded feet and locking nuts), Large vertical adjustment, with finer adjustment vertical knob, small bubble level, media filled bag at forearm area, and an adjustable buttstock clamp(with leather-ette buttplate sling) for different sized rifle stocks which aids in keeping rifle vertical and helps with holding rifle snuggly, if you use it for doing rifle repairs or cleaning. Only drawback is I need(you will too, if purchased), is that the bottom of buttstock clamp is open with metal showing, so I(you) need to get some rubber/foam/cloth, and cover this area up to keep from scratching the underside of buttstock----especially if your rifles are walnut or other fine wood(s) stocks. Also it went together very easily. Some additional, lead-filled bags to help hold down the front of rest is needed to make for a good, stable, small rifle shooting rest that adjusts-- VERTICAL/CANTER with padded legs(for uneven areas), large UP/DOWN front rest elevations and finer knob adjustments for up/down capabilities.
NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS:
DO NOT use this rifle rest for any mid to heavy recoil type rifles, as it just won't handle it, and you could hurt yourself or damage your rifle. BB guns, pellet rifles, 22's and pistol bullet rifles, that include 357, 44magnum, and 45 ACP(45 Long Colt is different and more powerful), this could possibly be the perfect companion to help rule out any shooter error for better shot placement using a scope, or just helping steady those shaky moments when breathing and squeezing the trigger just won't co-operate together, or you have a young shooter that needs help with shooting techniques or is unsure of how to hold a rifle, but wants to shoot, this just gives another option for you as a teacher to help out future generation of shooters. If the weather wasn't so unpredictible at this time of year, I'd be outside now scoping in some of my rifles. Maybe this Weekend??? I think, I'll be pleased with this cheap purchase.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2011, 03:58 PM
RE: "Sharp Shooter" Rifle Rest
Awesome. Been thinking about getting one myself. But as I always say, "Pictures, or it ain't happening". Roflblack

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2011, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2011 08:11 AM by Delbert.)
Pictures coming soon. Weather calling for snow and it's 8AM and it's looks like nightfall outside.
Del
I'd like to correct one thing I mentioned about using the rifle rest for mid to heavy recoil rifles. It will handle them. HOWEVER, you would need to turn around the rest and just use the forearm area and shoulder the stock as you would normally for shooting and still have elevation capabilities for steadier shots. This way you still have control of the weapon, without any dangerous mishaps, and just use the rest's buttstock clamp for holding rifle when going downrange to look at targets. See, there is a silver lining with a cheaper useful product.
Del
Find all posts by this user
03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
(03-26-2011 07:58 AM)Delbert Wrote:  Pictures coming soon. Weather calling for snow and it's 8AM and it's looks like nightfall outside.
Del

I know what you mean. We've been buying ammo in hopes that the white stuff would be gone and we could put some lead downrange. This morning it a freakin' 7 degrees outside. It hasn't been over 23 degrees all week. What kind of a sick joke is this?Spank

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user