1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First handgun
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
First handgun
I am considering buying my first handgun, and was wondering what a good one would be. I want to use it for home defense and possibly CCW. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
RE: First handgun
First off, welcome to FPG. Glad to see a new "face" on the forum.

This being your first handgun, I would suggest either a .380 or 9mm. You didn't say how much you wanted to spend, so I will go with the assumption that you want the most bang for your buck.

A Bersa Thunder .380 is a great gun for the money, but many feel the .380 is too light of a round to do any real damage. Don't believe them. The .380 is a round not many people would want to get shot with (neither is a 22LR for that matter). The Bersa Thunder is small enough to carry, cool enough to look sharp when you're shooting it, and they have a pretty good track record for quality.

The Bersa's also offer a 9mm in vary close to the same configuration.

Another possibility is a revolver in 38 Special. There are a number of great 38's out there right now from all different manufactures. Charter Arms, Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson all make great 38 revolvers that are small and light enough to carry. The ones I like the best are the Ruger LCR or the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard (which comes with a built in laser).

Hope this helps, and again Signwelcomespin !

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I'm not gonna be too picky about the price, but at the same time, i don't want to go into debt to get it lol. and thanks for the welcome
01-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Cool. Let us know what you end up with. Thumbup2

Cheers

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Welcome Libertarian
My first pick for a dual duty type pistol would be a double action(DA) revolver in either 32 or 38 caliber. It's small enough to conceal well in lots of holsters or pocket. It isn't overly done up with lots of safety/futuristic switches that confuse the senses, especially a newbe into getting that first pistol. The only switch on a revolver is the switch that opens the cylinder to load/reload the bullets. How much simpler is that. By having a (DA) revolver you can cock the hammer back to fire(slower for accuracy purposes) or just pull on the trigger for those moments of needing to get off a quick round for defense purposes and suddden attacks where you don't have time to think. Once you get proficient at using the revolver, you can either trade it in on a new gun of your choosing---or like most of us who like guns, just keep it as a great backup and keep adding to the collection. There are many great revolvers in either new or used out there in S&W, Colt, Dan Wesson, Taurus, Ruger just to name a few reliable pistols, but others with lesser known names/prices that could be just as good. Just remember that to become good with any weapon, you will need to pratice/practice/practice. I didn't mention the single action(SA) type revolver because it REQUIRES the pulling back on the hammer to fire each time, which takes time. These type pistols are found more in the "ole west" type six gun pistols, which are good guns, but for protection aren't small or very concealable. A great option for concealability is a derringer, but they've gotten quite expensive for their size in the last few years, plus they only offer limited firing capability. Keep us updated on what you find/get OR if you need more opinions on what to select, get back to us, WE always like to spend other people's money---for the good of safety--of course.
Del
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Rainbow Newly Registered Enthusiastic Member Seeking Information
In the late 1980's I took extensive classes and purchased a new 9mm Lady S&W complete with holster and CW Permit. I sold it in 1990 because of reduced physical capacity following a 3-level cervical fusion in 1990 (didn't want to be a victim of my own gun). Now a great grandma (with renewed confidence in my safe and responsible use), I need to "catch up" on the best hand gun for my age and size (5' 5 1/2, age 65/66 & 115-118 lbs.) The classes I took then now cost thousands. I'm searching for affordable "re-fresher" courses (sole income-Social Security) and purchase of another handgun. Bit leary of used handguns and prefer a new 9mm Lady S&W or modern, superior handgun depending on cost. I seek simple to use, reliable stopping power. I live in north Austin TX. I'm receptive to tips, pointers, suggestions and education on the purchase of "used" handguns and I am very happy to find your site and be a memberSignthankspin[/size][/font].
02-13-2013, 06:59 AM
RE: Newly Registered Enthusiastic Member Seeking Information
(02-12-2013 03:02 PM)GGMa 1947 Wrote:  In the late 1980's I took extensive classes and purchased a new 9mm Lady S&W complete with holster and CW Permit. I sold it in 1990 because of reduced physical capacity following a 3-level cervical fusion in 1990 (didn't want to be a victim of my own gun). Now a great grandma (with renewed confidence in my safe and responsible use), I need to "catch up" on the best hand gun for my age and size (5' 5 1/2, age 65/66 & 115-118 lbs.) The classes I took then now cost thousands. I'm searching for affordable "re-fresher" courses (sole income-Social Security) and purchase of another handgun. Bit leary of used handguns and prefer a new 9mm Lady S&W or modern, superior handgun depending on cost. I seek simple to use, reliable stopping power. I live in north Austin TX. I'm receptive to tips, pointers, suggestions and education on the purchase of "used" handguns and I am very happy to find your site and be a memberSignthankspin[/size][/font].

Welcome to the forum, Great Grandma! Signwelcomespin I hope you will get the help you need and find that perfect gun for you.

If you are looking at a semi-auto I would spend a lot of time "window shopping" before you pick that gun that you may have to defend your life with someday. Do your research first and find what others are claiming for reliability of any given gun.

Go to the gun shops and rack some slides. Rack them a lot. Find the one you are sure you can reload in a stress situation, then do some more research.

Most importantly, DO NOT let anyone sell you a gun based on what THEY think is a girls gun. My wife, who has cerebral palsy can shoot a .45ACP 1911 with no problem. Carrying it is another story. If she is carrying she goes with her Taurus 605 .357 Magnum with 38 Special +P rounds because that is what she is confortable with, and she doesn't need to "rack the slide". Her only problem would come with reloading should the need arise. If she wants to carry a semi-auto, or needs a smaller gun to carry, she takes her SIG P238 .380ACP (we both have this gun and love it).

The only 9mm I have experience carrying is the Kel-Tec PF9, which is my every day carry. The wife and I both have this gun, but she doesn't carry it because the slide is a bit difficult to rack.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

If you are on Facebook, check out https://www.facebook.com/#!/TheWellArmedWoman?fref=ts

Lost of good information there.

Good luck! Thumbup2

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
02-16-2013, 12:00 PM
GGM, Ken offers good info. There's lots of very good guns out there. New and Old. Don't let the age of a used Gun fool you. They're old for a reason. They're a lot of times better built and generally still very reliable. Just not pretty sometimes. Just don't get one in an odd caliber. Get a Gun in a modern caliber that you can find ammo easily for and you'll be fine. Look to Walmart and your Local Gun Store as to what ammo they always/generally carry for the size of Gun you're thinking about getting and this might help with a decision of what Gun to choose.
Also be careful with ammo selection. ACP(Automatic Colt Pistol), Luger(9mm), type ammos is made for semiauto pistols, while S&W(Smith&Wesson) type ammos can be used in either Pistols or Rifles of all types, so getting to know types of Ammo's and what they can be used in, would be beneficial to your knowledge when looking for a Gun. Good Luck and get back to us if you need any help.
I got my Wife a Bersa 380 also. She loves it, but I like it also. Great little Gun, but does have a few extra levers on it that can confuse, if you don't shoot it lots to keep familiar with it.
Del