1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
M1903 value?
01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
M1903 value?
Received An M1903 Rock Island Armory rifle. serial number 312118, very clean condition. Under the front sight is stamped H and just below that 10 44. Any idea what this could be worth? Signthankspin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2011, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2011 02:11 PM by alleydude.)
RE: M1903 value?
(01-15-2011 12:04 PM)Ohenry Wrote:  Received An M1903 Rock Island Armory rifle. serial number 312118, very clean condition. Under the front sight is stamped H and just below that 10 44. Any idea what this could be worth? Signthankspin

Just to be clear, it's Rock Island Arsenal, not Armory (Rock Island Armory make 1911's these days).

On GunBroker.com, the 1903's seem to be going between $500 and $750. Best I can do for you.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2011, 07:28 PM
(01-15-2011 02:10 PM)alleydude Wrote:  
(01-15-2011 12:04 PM)Ohenry Wrote:  Received An M1903 Rock Island Armory rifle. serial number 312118, very clean condition. Under the front sight is stamped H and just below that 10 44. Any idea what this could be worth? Signthankspin

Just to be clear, it's Rock Island Arsenal, not Armory (Rock Island Armory make 1911's these days).

On GunBroker.com, the 1903's seem to be going between $500 and $750. Best I can do for you.

Hope this helps.

Ken, Thank You very much for the info. I will run with this and get these sold for my foks. Cheers
04-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Going strictly from memory, I believe that's considered a "low number" receiver, but I'm not sure of the S/N cutoff for RIA (Rock Island Arsenal). The cutoff S/N for Springfield Arsenal M1903s was 800,000. The older receivers were hardened by a different process, and were considered "brittle" and more likely to blow up under pressure. Some gave way during arsenal testing, but there are apparently no records of one actually giving way in service. They were considered to be "brittle" rather than "giving" when confronted with extreme chamber pressures. These low number rifles were sent to veterans organizations where they would not see any combat and the low chamber pressure from firing blanks would not be an issue.

That brings us to the barrel markings. The "H" represents the company that made the barrel (I don't recall that particular one), in October of 1944, long after the rifle was initially built. We have to determine if the barrel was installed by the government, or from surplus parts after the fact. If it was installed at a government arsenal, the metal finish of the barrel and receiver will match. A gray colored finish indicates a federal arsenal, a flat black finish means a gov't repair depot like Raritan or Tobyhanna, and gray with a greenish tinge indicates a gov't contractor like Smith Corona. If they don't match or you see tool marks, the barrel has been changed. If it was re-barreled by the gov't, it'll probably be safe to shoot and the S/N is above the cutoff for RIA. If not, it confirms the "low number" item and had to be re-barreled because the blanks fired by the veterans organization that originally had it are highly corrosive and they didn't clean it. I have a low-number Springfield M1903 that came out a a defunct VFW. It's absolutely pristine like-new on the outside, but the bore looks like the dark side of the moon -- absolutely no reflection at all.

Answer these questions and you can more easily place a value on it -- especially if shooting it is not recommended.

Sorry I'm so wordy, but I love this stuff. If you really want to learn about the M1903 Springfield, look for a book called "The '03 Springfield" by a guy named Campbel -- can't remember his first name. Don't know if it's still in print, but book sales web sites like amazon .com will find you one.
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Still researching the "H" barrel manufacturer, but the cutoff for the hardening process for RIA receivers is just above S/N 200,000 -- so your receiver is considered safe. Reference: Brophy's "The M1903". Another good reference work on the subject.