1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would this be a good trade? Need your help!
11-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Would this be a good trade? Need your help!
I have a Desert Eagle 357 Magnum in excellent condition with holster, extra mag, and soft case. It is listed on the gon website. I have an offer to trade an Olympic K3B-M4 AR-15. Is that a fair trade. He said that the gun is brand new, never shot. I have just never heard of Olympic. I am supposed to meet with him tommorrow for the trade. I dont know guns that well and dont want to end up with something I cant work on. Thank you so very much in advance for the help!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
RE: Would this be a good trade? Need your help!
Olympic Arms are not that uncommon. There are a ton of them on Gun Broker.

The two guns are pretty much worth the same, give or take a few dollars. It would boil down to what you want, a cool handgun or a cool assault rifle.

What is the AR chambered in? 223?

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
(11-01-2010 02:47 PM)alleydude Wrote:  Olympic Arms are not that uncommon. There are a ton of them on Gun Broker.

The two guns are pretty much worth the same, give or take a few dollars. It would boil down to what you want, a cool handgun or a cool assault rifle.

I just spoke with him and he said it was in a 223/556. I have been wanting an AR just to play with cause I want something to piddle with. I dont really have a desire to hang on to the Desert Eagle. I guess my question is this.... I know Desert Eagle is a good solid based company with a good rep, but is the Olympic a good quality gun that can easily be customized with different parts and still have its value in years to come, per say. I saw prices of $950 on the gun. But at the same time, 15 years ago the Yugo was $4000 and it aint worth !$#% today!! LOL! Thanks for the reply! BTW, I am the guy with the Austin Behlert Colt 45 you commented on. Signthankspin
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
(11-01-2010 03:06 PM)nsanedrummer1 Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 02:47 PM)alleydude Wrote:  Olympic Arms are not that uncommon. There are a ton of them on Gun Broker.

I just spoke with him and he said it was in a 223/556. I have been wanting an AR just to play with cause I want something to piddle with. I dont really have a desire to hang on to the Desert Eagle. I guess my question is this.... I know Desert Eagle is a good solid based company with a good rep, but is the Olympic a good quality gun that can easily be customized with different parts and still have its value in years to come, per say. I saw prices of $950 on the gun. But at the same time, 15 years ago the Yugo was $4000 and it aint worth !$#% today!! LOL! Thanks for the reply! BTW, I am the guy with the Austin Behlert Colt 45 you commented on. Signthankspin

I don't really know a lot about the Olympic brand, I just know they're not uncommon. I am hoping Del or Gnepig will chime in, they probably know more about the AR than I do. And considering you have a great handgun in the 1911, you really don't need to hang onto the Desert Eagle unless you want to.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
11-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, here's my chime and you probably don't want to hear it. But, with all the AR platforms out there, I wouldn't trade for just any ole AR. They're a dime a dozen on any gun auction or at gun dealers. That's just me. NOW, if you just want to get rid of that Desert Eagle and you have your heart set on getting that AR, I would say that if the person trading ya, if they also threw in $250 to sweeten the pot, then it would be better. Problem with AR's is that most barrels are shot out because the shooters want to see what they will do, and they'll run 25 to 100 rounds through them and NOT let the barrel cool down--thus the rifling gets chewed up and barrel's metal breaks down because of the heat. Also a lot of receivers are put together with, let's just say "lesser quality" metals, nowadays and won't hold up to the repeated hammering of the slide bolt when somebody just keeps pulling the trigger, compared to much higher cost AR's that are put together with better care and better selections of receivers that are machined out with better tolerances. These of course will run $2500 and up in costs. Everybody nowadays sells some sort of AR platform because they can get good money for them with little cost of finding parts everywhere. My honest opinion is don't do it, unless the trader sweetens the pot--if they want that Desert Eagle of yours.
Del
11-02-2010, 05:52 AM
(11-02-2010 01:09 AM)Delbert Wrote:  Well, here's my chime and you probably don't want to hear it. But, with all the AR platforms out there, I wouldn't trade for just any ole AR. They're a dime a dozen on any gun auction or at gun dealers. That's just me. NOW, if you just want to get rid of that Desert Eagle and you have your heart set on getting that AR, I would say that if the person trading ya, if they also threw in $250 to sweeten the pot, then it would be better. Problem with AR's is that most barrels are shot out because the shooters want to see what they will do, and they'll run 25 to 100 rounds through them and NOT let the barrel cool down--thus the rifling gets chewed up and barrel's metal breaks down because of the heat. Also a lot of receivers are put together with, let's just say "lesser quality" metals, nowadays and won't hold up to the repeated hammering of the slide bolt when somebody just keeps pulling the trigger, compared to much higher cost AR's that are put together with better care and better selections of receivers that are machined out with better tolerances. These of course will run $2500 and up in costs. Everybody nowadays sells some sort of AR platform because they can get good money for them with little cost of finding parts everywhere. My honest opinion is don't do it, unless the trader sweetens the pot--if they want that Desert Eagle of yours.
Del

See, now there's an answer I wouldn't have been able to give. Great answer, Del! Thumbup2

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
11-04-2012, 10:06 AM
$2500 = too expensive!!!