1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ruger 77/22
02-07-2010, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2010 05:34 PM by Delbert.)
Ruger 77/22
Just wanted to show ya'll another little Ruger I customized. It started as a Ruger 77/22 Magnum model(I still have original parts to put back together if wanted). It now wears a Richards stock, Jard 1#trigger, Green Mountain combination "Stainless Bull" barrels(1-22magnum and 1-17HMR), Muzzle suppressor, Harris Bi-pod, BSA 8-32x40w/AO.
Still working on different ammo to find the best it'll shoot.
Del
    Some reason, it didn't come thru--let's try again.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
RE: Ruger 77/22
Dang, can you see through walls with that scope??? Roflblack

Awesome looking gun! Looks like you could snipe squirels at 1000 yards!

Thumbup2

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
LOL, I can't quite see thru walls, that's a 4" sunshade on the front of scope to help with glare. I can count the teeth in a crow's beak while sittin' in a tree at 50 yds just before they say their last "CAW". OH, WAIT! there goes my delusions again. I do wish I had a better scope for such a fine rifle, like a Shepard, Nightforce, or March.
Del
02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Dayum, that thing is awesome lookin, bet it's fun to shoot. What's your groupings look like at 100 yards?

Now you've done it, now I've gotta make me one of those cool lookin little rifles and it's gotta be a bolt action also...
02-08-2010, 12:50 AM
I had a target around here someplace and I seem to remember that it grouped like around 1-1/2" to 3" and that's because I used only a couple different ammos in it testing it out, and wind wasn't in my favor that day. I think some Winchester Xtreme and some CCI's. I haven't tried any "match ammo" or Wolf "target" ammo yet. I've been thinking about putting the 17HMR barrel back on it and trying for some long distance targets like 250 yds. It might be a small caliber, but the 17HMR is an amazing round and doing it with a bullet that's the size of a BB, would be awesome, AND KEEPING IT CONSISTANT. The search and stockpiling of ammo is on my "to do" list.
Del
02-08-2010, 01:55 AM
I have read at several places that the 17 HMR was very accurate, make sure you can get the ammo for it before you switch your barrels.
That bull barrel and flash hider looks super cool tho. 1 1/2" is pretty good from a .22 shaped bullet, the ballistics of the .22 projectile is not great which makes plinking out past 60 yards a bit of a challenge. I'm not sure when the shock wave catches up with the bullet of the .22 Magnum, but it starts to happen at about 80 yards with the standard .22 long rifle. It drops out of super-sonic, the shock wave catches up and destabilizes the projectile.
The 17 HMR is a whole different animal, the shape and the charge make it a very fast/ very straight flying bullet.
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I know what ya mean about accuracy with a 22. Lots of people think they can use them just like a centerfire and still have accuracy at 100yds, but it's not so. With the 22mag the accuracy is good for up to 125yds then it falls from there. NOW, when the 17HMR was introduced, it was amazing how accurate it was even at 150yds. Now some people have tried it at 200yds with great success at both killing(coyotes/crows) and targets. This little bullet is "hypersonic" and with the right barrel and action, who know how far it's accuracy can be with today's better powder and bullet designs.
Del