1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Red Ryder 1893
02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
RE: Red Ryder 1893
Thanks Ken, they pulled through with your suggestion. That stock just goes with that gun---good choice. OUCH! Looks like a mistake that won't happen again---glad you're OK. That wasn't your trigger finger was it? Where did you get gun stain? I've not seen or heard of it. Also, wouldn't a router w/3/4 or 1" edging bit be easier, or would the stock have too many different breaks in it, to be useful? That is, if a person has a router.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Quote:
"Where did you get gun stain?"

Seen that at Lowes tonight, the color was called gun stock by Minwax. I wanted to get that but the original color of the gun was a deep red.
02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
(02-08-2010 12:29 AM)Delbert Wrote:  That wasn't your trigger finger was it?

Yup, and what's worse, it's my mouse clickin' finger. I'm a web designer and now I'm really handicapped. Can't type worth a crap either...

(02-08-2010 12:29 AM)Delbert Wrote:  Where did you get gun stain? I've not seen or heard of it.

Like Gnepig said, it's available wherever stains are sold...

(02-08-2010 12:29 AM)Delbert Wrote:  Also, wouldn't a router w/3/4 or 1" edging bit be easier, or would the stock have too many different breaks in it, to be useful? That is, if a person has a router.

I am sure there are easier (and safer) ways to do this, but I used what I had available. Now I have an excuse to buy more power tools!

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Guys, didn't realize the home remodeling centers now carry gun stain--who wooda thunk? I got to thinking about the router again and for a flat stock such as a BB gun, yeah, it would work, BUT for a REAL gun stock with "Monte Carlo" combs and bowed sides, a person should probably still use good "wood stock rasps" to take down the wood the way it needs to be taken out when doing it by hand. I now remember this was the way my Dad did it when he was a gunsmith.
Del