1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Red Ryder 1893
02-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Red Ryder 1893
Couldn't let Gnepig have all the fun, so when I found a Red Ryder at a local chain store for $25, I saw a chance to have a little bit of fun of my own.

So I went to Lowes and bought 3 sheets of 1/4" red oak and two sheets of poplar (6" x 2').

I cut the sheets down to just over the length of the Red Ryder stock.

Then I got out the trusty wood glue and glued them all together. I clamped them securely for 24 hours.

I then traced the Red Ryder stock onto my laminated block of wood(s), adding the curved butt that I like from the Marlin 1893.

Then it was just a matter of cutting my "blank" out with my trusty jigsaw.

As you can see, the butt end is a bit larger and curvier than the original.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2010 09:20 PM by alleydude.)
RE: Red Ryder 1893
The next step is craploads and craploads of sanding. I used my handheld belt sander, my mouse sander and good old hand held sand paper. It's still a bit out of shape, but it's getting there.

And after some work I was able to fit the stock to the receiver.

I still need to cut the groove for the lever, a bit more sanding and shaping, and then stain. I can't wait to see what this will look like stained and clear coated!

And then, of course, I have to start on the forend.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
That'll be a pretty-ass little stock when you get done with it. Nice work.
I'm just wondering. Don't the laminate stock makers use a "special" clear glue? Just thinking about what happens when you try to put some stain on it and how the glue reacts, or how the wood absorbs the stain next to the glue. I guess we'll all find out soon.
Del
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
AAAHA Narley! You are good... Thumbup2
02-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Not quite done, but here it is ALMOST finished. I have some sanding and smoothing to do. This is why you don't spray paint in a 50 degree basement - ripples.

But I had to show you the progress. It's stained with Minwax "Gunstock" stain, and I really like the color. Makes it look like a much more expensive gun!

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2010 02:52 PM by gnepig.)
I really like it! It doesn't look so mass produced, looks like a rifle of value. Thumbup2
How did you make the forend peice?
02-07-2010, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2010 03:39 PM by alleydude.)
(02-07-2010 02:48 PM)gnepig Wrote:  How did you make the forend peice?

I was afraid you'd ask that. I got almost all the way done with it when I remembered I hadn't taken any pictures of it.

I used the same lamination process as with the stock, so that is no different.

I cut it to size using the original as a template. Before shaping it to size I used a table saw to hollow out the insides to a similar shape as the original, then used carving tools to clean up the insides and make it fit to the gun.

Side note: don't be a fool and try to take the part off the table saw before the blade stops spinning. You'll find yourself saying things like "Shoot, dangit".

(And if you're real lucky like I was, you'll find yourself saying "Phew! I still have a finger!). Spank

So anyway, after I nursed my wounds, and finished the work with the bandsaw, I shaped the outside with a belt sander and some hand sanding. Then stain and clear coat.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Blood, sweat and tears... Yeah Buddy= Man's work! Arr Arr ARR!
Good job on not losing that finger.

(How does one alter the emocon Thumbup2 to have the top of one finger missing? Roflblack)
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey Ken, I'm not getting any pictures from post #5 or post #7. I clicked on the little x within the boxes, but nothing happened. Do you suppose it timed out because of dial-up? So far from the pics I looked at, very fine job. That's gonna be a sweet little custom BB gun. You just tripled its value.
Del
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
(02-07-2010 11:21 PM)Delbert Wrote:  Hey Ken, I'm not getting any pictures from post #5 or post #7. I clicked on the little x within the boxes, but nothing happened. Do you suppose it timed out because of dial-up? So far from the pics I looked at, very fine job. That's gonna be a sweet little custom BB gun. You just tripled its value.
Del

I see them just fine, so it must be your set-up. Try right clicking on the red X and select view picture (or something similar). If that don't work, I may have to rethink my picture settings.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!