1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maybe I'm Just Stupid...
11-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Maybe I'm Just Stupid...
So I called Rossi today. My son has the 22LR/.410 Youth Combo by Rossi, and I was hoping that I could get a .243 barrel to snap onto it so that he could go deer hunting with me next year. I thought that this could be an inexpensive alternative to buying him a purpose built deer rifle. Boy, was I wrong...

So according the customer service lady (who could barely speak English), I have to send in my reciever to BRAZIL to have a .243 barrel fitted, and that it would probably cost more than getting a whole new gun... "Would you like to look at our .243 hunting rifles?" Um... no.

So I'm not engineer or nuthin', shoot, I ain't had much book learning beyond Frankfort High School, but it seems to me that if they can make barrels snap on and off guns, and they can make a 22 rimfire cartridge and a .410 centerfire cartridge work on the same reciever, the WHY THE F*&% can't they make OTHER barrels just snap on and off the same way on the same reciever?????

Wouldn't it make sense that they would sell TONS of barrels, and TONS of guns so that people could taylor their guns to fit their needs? If I knew I could buy one gun and dozens of barrels, I think it would really be a selling point for me. Instead, you have to buy the combo that most closely fits your needs and be happy with that.

And just FYI, the DO make a .243 barrel for the Rossi, and one is available in a 22LR, 20g./.243 combo (Trifecta). So if in that case, the 22LR and the .243 work on the same gun, then WHY doesn't the .243 work on my son's reciever that ALSO has a 22LR?

I guess it's a Mossberg or Marlin for my son next year.

Doh

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2009, 08:03 PM
RE: Maybe I'm Just Stupid...
Good point Ken. It would seem that you could just get another barrel and just do the simple swap, but as you know, some folks out there, could play the system and have another gun combo made by a different company and decide that because of similarity between products, that they could just switch and make them work without any danger. Rossi is just being cautious in knowing you have the right product before selling you a spare barrel that will fit correctly onto your receiver and have the correct bullet alignment, head spacing, proper firing pin contact, correct barrel/receiver tolerances, etc. It's also true about the Trifecta combo being cheaper compared to piece pricing components. I think Bass Pro or Cabela's has the Rossi combo abailable right now for less than $200. If I had a job right now, I would pick up one as I think they would make a great brush gun.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply