1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I Need To Start Over...?
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2009 08:48 PM by alleydude.)
Do I Need To Start Over...?
I am going to be doing some revamping of the Price Guide. I am thinking of adding the following features:

->The ability to search non-exact phrases, such as:

* marlin 243
* mossberg shotgun
* marlin model 36
* etc. where the search phrases don't exactly match entries in the database unless they are punched into the database in exactly this way.

->Picture links so that if I have a picture of the gun you can click a link and it will pop up a picture of the gun you are looking at.

->Pop-up extended descriptions, so you can get more information on a particular firearm without making the search listing look odd with a large description.

Now, my question to all of you... What features would YOU like to see incorporated into the price guide, besides MORE LISTINGS?

How could I make the price guide more user friendly, useful, and enjoyable?

Speak up, people, I'm listening.

Signthankspin

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
RE: Do I Need To Start Over...?
Here's some ideas:
"STICKYS" at top of EVERY gun/optic/bow manufacturer, so if there's a safety/recall or other ALERTS to watchout for.
How about, after signing on(before posting any questions/answers)a person MUST send in at least one picture of gun "that they own" to rule out anti-gun fanatics or just looky-loos/spammers.This way we members can have a face for a member that's either just joined or an old member who's been on here for years. The administrator would hold onto info and if no picture sent in, after 3 days then no sign up. It's a protection of our 2nd amendment rights to rule out any unwanteds. Once picture received that person would then be welcomed into the fold to post anyway they want as long as it's to the forum rules and ethics.
A link for just hunts and the guns/bow used to see how it all came together for that special moment.
YES, as you suggested, making links easier to find any info would be great.
A link as to where a person is from or something to help other members to join up/meet/casual shoot with each other.
Hope any of this helped you out as to suggestions.
Del
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Great input, Delbert, but what I was actually looking for was for input on the price guide itself. It works, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. This is what I am hoping for input on.

http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/index....ge=search2

But thanks, I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
11-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Ok, I understand now.
I was looking at site--very intensive and informative also. What I DIDN'T SEE, which I think would help, is what are the differences between one model to another of the same gun(rifle). What I mean is what's the differences between a Marlin 1894CS compared to a SS, WFC, or XL7, or other variants of the same years. I'm sure this will make your job harder, but if I don't know what model I have(other than a Marlin 1894) how would I be able to distinguish it from a rifle that sells for $150 and one that would sell for $500 if the only difference is a letter or color of metal? CS means what? XL7 means what? and so on, and how would it make a rifle higher in price? Would this be possible with what you already have listed without going into another link? Don't know if I helped or hindered.
Del
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
(11-09-2009 04:44 PM)alleydude Wrote:  I am going to be doing some revamping of the Price Guide. I am thinking of adding the following features:

->The ability to search non-exact phrases, such as:

* marlin 243
* mossberg shotgun
* marlin model 36
* etc. where the search phrases don't exactly match entries in the database unless they are punched into the database in exactly this way.

->Picture links so that if I have a picture of the gun you can click a link and it will pop up a picture of the gun you are looking at.

->Pop-up extended descriptions, so you can get more information on a particular firearm without making the search listing look odd with a large description.

Now, my question to all of you... What features would YOU like to see incorporated into the price guide, besides MORE LISTINGS?

How could I make the price guide more user friendly, useful, and enjoyable?

Speak up, people, I'm listening.

Signthankspin

I don't know about starting over, but I would make some changes to the display of the search results page(s).
  • Instead of just showing the original query, put a text box up with the query inside, then add a new search button there.
  • Make all column headers sort-able, ascending and descending.
  • Show an image, where possible, to help identify a match.
  • Create check-boxes for type of gun (e.g.: pistol, revolver, shotgun, single shot rifle, pump rifle, bolt rifle, etc. to help narrow down results.
  • Yes, make generic searches (or synonyms) so the typical non-expert gun buyer can find what they are looking for.
  • Make a guide to help a gun owner or buyer understand the difference between the condition levels. Have pictures to help demonstrate visually.
  • It's just my opinion, but I think tables look much cleaner with no borders and no cell spacing. Add about 3px of cell padding and drop the borders / spacing combo. The row highlights and column alignment are enough visual cues for separation.
  • I would drop the off-site links and eBay searches from the primary navigation button area. These take users away from your main site (obviously to other sites you control), but appear that they are part of the same site. It can be confusing for some web users.
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the forum, trckrhntr! Glad to see you found your way over here.

Been a while since this post saw the light of day, but as it happens, I have a programmer working on the site as we speak making some badly needed changes to the functionality of the site that I am sure all will appreciate. The most exciting in my opinion is the addition of pictures and added information to the listings (actually, it will allow me to do this, it won't just happen, which means a LOT more work for me, but worth it).

This is the phase 1 update, much more to come!

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!