Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Marlin 925 Refinish
11-25-2009, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2009 04:30 AM by alleydude.)
Marlin 925 Refinish
I never really liked the look of this Marlin 925. I bought it new, and love shooting it, but the "walnut" finished birch never really tripped my trigger, pardon the pun. Here's what it looked like when I started (third one down):

I took it apart, sanded it down, and stained it with three coats of Ebony stain, then two coats of spray laquer. Here's how it looks now:

I like it much better now.

Ken

http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2009, 02:59 PM
RE: Marlin 925 Refinish
I like it. I have a rifle that I want to refinish (it's painted), now I know how I'm goin to do it. Looks freakin good! Thumbup2
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Very nice job. Surprisingly, that birch has a pretty good wood grain going on, and with the stain you put on it, just enhances the look of the whole rifle and makes it look much more expensive. Great job of the clear coat also. So much cheaper than getting a laminated stock that you have to put in lots of work into, to not only make the action fit correctly, but to get the stock finished well. You, Sir, do good work.
Del
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys. My total cost to refinish: $4.50 for the stain, some spray laquer that I already had, probably $5, and some 120, 220, and 500 grit sandpaper that I already had, probably $2. And I have enough left over that I could do dozens of guns. It was a lot of fun, and I am actually looking at some of my other guns to do the same to (though I probably won't).

Took about an hour's worth of sanding to get the stock cleaned of the crappy finish it had on it, and a day and a half of staining, drying, staining, drying, staining, drying, spraying, drying, spraying, drying, and reassembly.

It was fun, and well worth it.

Maybe I have and excuse to find some old beaters and rework? I don't know if I really want to go out and buy some more guns, though. I have enough guns. Roflblack NOT!

Ken

http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user