1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ishapore 2A1/ Lee Enfield variant
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Ishapore 2A1/ Lee Enfield variant
Greetings All
I came by an Ishapore 2A1 chambered in 7.62. I would like to know if it is worth sporterizing or collectable.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 12:12 PM
RE: Ishapore 2A1/ Lee Enfield variant
Welcome to forum. Those military curios will have 2 different camps to belong to, and there's really nothing wrong in being in either. One is for keeping the old weapons just as they came off the factory floor, and using them as intended, with lots of clean/polishing. The other club is people taking these old relics and modernizing them to be BETTER(if this word can be used), by restocking them, cutting/recrowning the barrel to get rid of bayonnet(legally of course), and putting in reconditioned parts(if hasn't been done so yet) for reliable action and using them out in the fields for hunting or plinking. Also there is 2 versions. One in 7.62x39 and the other is a 7.62x54R. the 39 model is more common, but the 54 has more punch and is generally the one chosen for hunts. Ammo for either model is readily available, but highly corrosive with the action of gun and requires special cleaning which is easy. Which is the model you got? You'll find out Master of Forum is an owner of Mosin Nagant and is more knowledgeable in these older fine weapons. Myself, I would sporterize it, as there's lots of these ISSY's on the market. NOW, if it was a true Lee Enfield, it would stay factory stock as these are quite valuable/collectible.
Del
Find all posts by this user
04-29-2012, 09:23 PM
(02-04-2012 12:12 PM)Delbert Wrote:  Welcome to forum. Those military curios will have 2 different camps to belong to, and there's really nothing wrong in being in either. One is for keeping the old weapons just as they came off the factory floor, and using them as intended, with lots of clean/polishing. The other club is people taking these old relics and modernizing them to be BETTER(if this word can be used), by restocking them, cutting/recrowning the barrel to get rid of bayonnet(legally of course), and putting in reconditioned parts(if hasn't been done so yet) for reliable action and using them out in the fields for hunting or plinking. Also there is 2 versions. One in 7.62x39 and the other is a 7.62x54R. the 39 model is more common, but the 54 has more punch and is generally the one chosen for hunts. Ammo for either model is readily available, but highly corrosive with the action of gun and requires special cleaning which is easy. Which is the model you got? You'll find out Master of Forum is an owner of Mosin Nagant and is more knowledgeable in these older fine weapons. Myself, I would sporterize it, as there's lots of these ISSY's on the market. NOW, if it was a true Lee Enfield, it would stay factory stock as these are quite valuable/collectible.
Del

Sounds like you're talking about a Mosin-Nagant, where I believe the original post refers to a Royal Enfield variant.
04-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Two things. First, sporterising a military rifle is not the best idea in my opinion. You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and unless you put a lot of cash into it like new barrels and wood, it will always look -- and shoot -- like a military rifle; stock cut down or not. Military sights, eecially on Enfields, are not the best, either.

Second, you're destroying any collector value it may have now or in the future.

Third, be very careful with Ishapur (Indian National Armory) Enfields chambered in 7.62 NATO. The rifles were designed for the rimmed British .303 round designed in the 19th century and is underpowered by moden standards. India didn't want to buy all new weapons, so they decided to modify their SMLE No 1 Mk iii
04-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I didn't finish my post. Long story short -- a lot of knowledgeable gun people feel that the SMLE action is not strong enough for the 7.62 NATO, much less other sporting rounds, and the Indian Government was wise in eventually scrapping the program. If you want to shoot it -- see a gunsmith and be careful.