1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mosin Nagant 91/30
08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Mosin Nagant 91/30
The wifey picked this one out and brought it home. The local MC Sports had this baby on sale for $79, it came with a bayonet, two sets of ammo pouches, a sling, and an oil can. Got two boxes of 7.65x54 gun batteries to go with it and we now have a working piece of history!

Looks pretty good on the mantle, too!

[Image: mosin1.jpg]

[Image: mosin2.jpg]

[Image: mosin3.jpg]

Ken

Firearms Price Guide... For What It's Worth.
PistolStands.com Custom Pistol Stands.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2010, 01:45 AM
RE: Mosin Nagant 91/30
That piece of history cleaned up really nice. Great price. Do my eyes deceive me or has the barrel been re-crowned? Good find and great caliber. It does look good on your mantle. Are ya gonna use it for deer huntin'? Those things can bring down a lot of meat.
Del
Find all posts by this user
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
(08-26-2010 01:45 AM)Delbert Wrote:  That piece of history cleaned up really nice. Great price. Do my eyes deceive me or has the barrel been re-crowned? Good find and great caliber. It does look good on your mantle. Are ya gonna use it for deer huntin'? Those things can bring down a lot of meat.
Del

I'm thinking about taking it hunting. Going to go out and shoot it today at the range. I am anxious to see what it will do at 100 yards.

What's recrowned? That shiney tip to the barrel? If that's it, I'd say it probably was. I think the bolt and the butt plate have been replaced (at least). They are dated 1974, where-as the rifle is dated 1943.

Ken

08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
That's correct. It's when someone will take a barrel that's so beat up on the tip, and won't shoot straight and recontour/reshape it to be functional again. It's good to know the bolt was replaced, or at least repaired to be functional for your safety. Probably also replaced the firing pin and spring too. Happy shooting.
Del
08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
(08-26-2010 12:56 PM)Delbert Wrote:  That's correct. It's when someone will take a barrel that's so beat up on the tip, and won't shoot straight and recontour/reshape it to be functional again. It's good to know the bolt was replaced, or at least repaired to be functional for your safety. Probably also replaced the firing pin and spring too. Happy shooting.
Del

Took it to the range yesterday. I shot it some, but the wife really took to it. With the 205gr rounds it really packs a punch. I didn't try to shoot it at the 100 yard mark because she wouldn't give it up long enough... Roflblack

[Image: mosin4.jpg]

Ken

08-31-2010, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2010 12:32 AM by gnepig.)
HA!, That's awesome! Thumbup2

Quote:
"she wouldn't give it up long enough..."

This is what I was afraid of, That's why I am waiting to get another one before we go to the range and try it out. I fired it off a couple of times in the garage and it was awesome, I know she is goin to love it too...

Cool get Alleybabe and Dude, now you have to watch the movie called Enemy at the Gates= my chicky loves that movie.

Umm, I don't have any personal experience with mine yet, but I read that these guns shoot better with the 150 to 170 grain bullets, the regular old Mil-Surp stuff. The Mil-Surp stuff is usually corrosive and your gun needs to be washed out real good right after using it. But if yours works just fine with the 205 gr bullets keep using those. I have both and will try them when I get a chance. These are the best people and what seem like the best prices http://www.classicarms.us/ammunition.htm the 7.62x54r is at the bottom of the page just above the ammo cans for sale.

A local pawn shop here has a Mosin with the original lookin scope on it, I want this but they want over 500 bucks for it!...
09-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Glad you found your way back to us, gnepig!

Checked out that link but they didn't have any 7.62x54 (at least right now). The 205 grain I can get here is $12 a box. Not great but not really bad either. Didn't see any other grains, though. The local Army Navy store doesn't carry surplus ammo, so that's out. There is one gun shop we haven't tried yet.

We will definately check out that movie. Always up for a good shootem up movie.

Ken

09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Here's some:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_in...r-fmj-ammo

And here's some:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?i...groupid=40

Quote;
"We will definately check out that movie. Always up for a good shootem up movie."

Shootem up/ blowem up/ stabem up, yeah, if you ever watched your kids play the Call of Duty (#3) game, it's copied almost to the T from this movie and Saving Private Ryan.
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
(08-31-2010 11:19 PM)gnepig Wrote:  Cool get Alleybabe and Dude, now you have to watch the movie called Enemy at the Gates= my chicky loves that movie.

Finally got to see that movie. Ed Harris was badazz in that, wasn't he. About jumped out of my seat when Ron Perlman bought the big one.

Good stuff, definately worth watching. Thanks for turning us on to it.

Thumbup2

Ken

09-22-2010, 12:49 AM
(09-21-2010 08:48 PM)alleydude Wrote:  
(08-31-2010 11:19 PM)gnepig Wrote:  Cool get Alleybabe and Dude, now you have to watch the movie called Enemy at the Gates= my chicky loves that movie.

Finally got to see that movie. Ed Harris was badazz in that, wasn't he. About jumped out of my seat when Ron Perlman bought the big one.

Good stuff, definately worth watching. Thanks for turning us on to it.

Thumbup2

Yeah it was a really good story. I did like Ed Harris in this and Ron Perlman's roll could have been longer but he was real good. Glad you liked it...