1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
get some thoughts
06-13-2014, 04:43 PM
get some thoughts
In 1985 my sister and I bought our dad a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357/9mm) with the 6.5 barrel as a retirement gift. I think we paid about two-hundred-fifty bucks with holster, cartridge belt and tax.

Dad's still around and at ninety-four still active and lives on his own, but hasn't fired a gun in fifteen years or so and has no interest in shooting anymore.
The gun is in my name (yeah, a straw purchase I guess) and I would like to buy it back from him. New runs almost seven bills and I see used prices listed from three to six hundred.
I'm thinking I should offer him four-hundred for it then pay my sister half of whatever amount we settle on. So if he'll take four hundred then I'll send sis two hundred making my cost total six.
Sure, can get a new one for about that but for sentimental reasons (plus my name is on the transaction records from way back then) I'd like this one.
So, opinion only, does four to dad and two to sis sound about right to anyone kind enough to answer? or higher, lower or forget about it?
Just musing but interested in your opinions.
Thanks
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2014, 11:46 PM
RE: get some thoughts
That was nice of you to get for your dad. Gifts are NOT straw purchases if purchased by one person and given to a "legal" person of the immediate family member.

Now as to giving your father so many $s and giving your sister whatever $s---that up to you and what all you come to the decision on, to keep the peace. I do think what you're proposing is very reasonable.

Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply