1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Browning .22 takedown Grade I
05-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Browning .22 takedown Grade I
I have a 1979 Japanese made takedown. It is in like new condition and in the original box. I don't want to sell it but I would like an estimated value as well as how best to store the rifle and box. I've attached two pics of the rifle but I can't get the pic of the box to post.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 06:34 AM
RE: Browning .22 takedown Grade I
First off, welcome to the forum. Here is a couple auctions for your gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...=418727035

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...=417509155

For some reason Gunbroker.com completed auction search is not functioning at the moment so I can't find any sales history on this type of gun, but if the asking price is any indication, then you have some idea. One has a leather case that he's asking $800 for and one has no box at all that the seller is asking $575 for. This is never an indication of what a gun is worth, they might be worth hundreds less than the asking price, and without a sales history to look at I can't make a better assessment. Wish I could help more right now.

Again, Signwelcomespin

Cheers

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks. I looked around at some sites and that is about what I saw. Any ideas on storage?
06-02-2014, 05:43 AM
(06-01-2014 08:04 AM)Daddytotwo Wrote:  Thanks. I looked around at some sites and that is about what I saw. Any ideas on storage?

Just keep it in a dry place. Unless you have salty sea air to worry about, guns last a good long while without a lot of attention. Don't keep it in a damp basement.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
06-02-2014, 07:48 AM
I use a vacuum bag and silica packages to store a WWII era Galesi box but I store the gun separate and I haven't had any problems. I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea and this rifle is worth a lot more in sentiment and money than a Galesi .25! Thanks.
06-02-2014, 08:07 AM
(06-02-2014 07:48 AM)Daddytotwo Wrote:  I use a vacuum bag and silica packages to store a WWII era Galesi box but I store the gun separate and I haven't had any problems. I just wasn't sure if that was a good idea and this rifle is worth a lot more in sentiment and money than a Galesi .25! Thanks.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea if you are really serious about it, but I don't think it is necessary unless there is a flood or something. You might want to look into what gun oils will do to that styrofoam after a while. It might not be a bad idea to store the gun outside of the packaging, if it is a real big concern.

If it were mine I would rather see it hanging on a wall than mumified away in a closet or safe somewhere. But that's just me.

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I understand putting it on display. My problem is that my dad got it from his brother's estate and gave it to my 15 month old son. Now I'm responsible for keeping it in the same condition for when he is old enough to have it. I want to protect it more than display it at this point.
06-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Beautiful Rifle. If you really want to preserve that beauty, remove all woodwork from the metal and seal in vacuum storage bags after giving the wood a going over with a liquid "fine wood" preservative. Brownell's may have something, and you could even call them to let them know you need this to preserve over time with storage of many years. Anything but Cosmoline. You want to help the wood to not dry out. Do not put the woods together to save space. You don't want them to rub against each other which will mar the finish as you vacuum out the air or if you have to move the gun case over time.

For all metal give a good slathering of new Engine Oil or "heavy" Gun Oil. Use it inside the barrel/in the trigger assy, ALL OVER. DO NOT wipe it down or off. Now place in vacuum bag----separate from the wood.

Also be careful when vacuuming, the storage bags if you go this approach, as you don't want oils going into your vac cleaner and mess it up.

Now place all these pieces into a good gun case---plastic or metal that has soft foam lining. Place Silica Packs in with these as a precaution. Lock it up/keep key(s) with locks to never lose.

For the original gun box, go get some "bubble wrap" and wrap it up and tape it sealed. Always keep close by with the Gun Case or Duck Tape the bubble wrapped box to the Gun Case.

Put everything away to let it collect dust. Good Luck----you are gonna have one happy Son when you bring this out in the years to come.

This may sound silly to you as to why you'd want to do something like this. Well, remember you're storing this for years, not using and cleaning every month to notice any minute surface rust marks or oils from the fingers from handling which will cause rust that you can quickly correct once noticed. It may not be seen for 10, 15, 20 years from now. This is a preservation to keep it looking as brand new. It won't be just air you need to worry about, it will be moistures, pollutants, maybe bugs you won't see that want to bore into the wood, no oils being used on metal, no wood polish to keep wood from cracking. So on, and on.
06-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks Delbert! That is a lot of work but I hope it will keep it just like it is.