1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winchester Model 37 20 gauge
02-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Winchester Model 37 20 gauge
This is the best $99 we've ever spent. Winchester Model 37. We picked this up last summer at Gander Mountain in well used condition. I took the stocks off and "refreshed" them with some sanding and some black walnut stain, then clear laquer to top it off. Not really restored, as you can still see a lot of marks from years of use. Someone before us brazed an extra piece of metal onto the hammer to make it easier to cock. In doing so they burned the heck out of the stock, which I was able to get most of the burn off, though not all. This is a "Red Letter" Winchester, and according to Wikipedia: "Early Winchester models referred to as "Red Letter" shotguns were stamped with the Winchester name and filled with red custom enamel paint until 1948." None were serial numbered, so there is no way to know for sure when this gun was manufactured. Because they made the Model 37 starting in 1936, and the red lettering stopped in 1948, the best we can say for sure is that this gun was made between 1936 and 1948. She is a real honey to shoot.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Winchester Model 37 20 gauge
Would be worth giving that little jewel a new acid-blue bath. Good job on what you did for that wood. That's a great little rabbit getter.
With a steel frame, I'll bet it still locks up smooth and tight after all these years.
I'll also bet someone with a Marlin L/A had that gun, when they thought upon that Left Handed Hammer Extension. LOL
Del
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Winchester Model 37 20 gauge
(02-17-2013 02:20 PM)Delbert Wrote:  Would be worth giving that little jewel a new acid-blue bath. Good job on what you did for that wood. That's a great little rabbit getter.
With a steel frame, I'll bet it still locks up smooth and tight after all these years.
I'll also bet someone with a Marlin L/A had that gun, when they thought upon that Left Handed Hammer Extension. LOL
Del

I thought about cleaning up the metal, but I think it adds a lot of character to the old girl. It does shoot great, though. And yes, it is very smooth operating.

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user