1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recoil Vest
10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Recoil Vest
Just wondering if anyone owns or has used a recoil vest? Is there much difference vs using a recoil pad on your weapon?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 12:01 PM by Delbert.)
RE: Recoil Vest
Yes, my family used to use them as extra shoulder protection when going on "turtle dove", quail, and pheasant hunts, or trap shooting. They helped with the all-day shock of using our shotguns. We'd go through a couple boxes of shells(per person) in a single day for a typical hunt, and my Dad would go through 4 or 5 boxes(or more) of shells during trap shoot competitions. The difference was, they didn't make anything called a "limb saver" back in the early 70's, and the vest gave you places to keep extra ammo, shooting glasses, and depending on style, gave you the game pouch in the back. The padded vest/coat just provided that extra shooting shoulder protection. Many shooters still use the padded vest today whether for shotgunning or rifles. I haven't used one for deer hunting lately as the weather is usually either cool or cold, so I have on extra clothing anyway. ALmost forgot, most modern weapons have better recoil pads on them than older/antique type weapons to better take out the recoil, so I feel that a padded vest is easier to use.
Del
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 07:51 PM by gnepig.)
Hi I am Mrs. Gnepig.....

We bought this after a bad experience with an AK-47 and a .308 Mauser that dang near dislocated my shoulder. It isn't extra thick nor is it heavy....it is the perfect weight and I must say, pretty impact absorbent. With this on, I can shoot the shotgun and the Mauser and still have full range of motion on my shoulder.Tongue

Seriously though, I can shoot a lot longer and still feel great after wearing this shoulder pad. We ordered it from Cabela's and it is called a Recoil Pad...cost $29.99 and comes in shotgun or rifle style, left handed or right handed. Ours is right hand rifle. It is money well spent IMHO.

It disburses the impact more on your entire shoulder than focusing it on one spot. Never used a vest before - it's too hot in Florida to wear too much shooting apparel. Besides, I like the recoil pad - it enhances my bustline!

Here is a link to it: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...hasJS=true

[Image: 100_1662.jpg]
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
(10-13-2009 07:43 PM)gnepig Wrote:  Hi I am Mrs. Gnepig.....

We bought this after a bad experience with an AK-47 and a .308 Mauser that dang near dislocated my shoulder. It isn't extra thick nor is it heavy....it is the perfect weight and I must say, pretty impact absorbent. With this on, I can shoot the shotgun and the Mauser and still have full range of motion on my shoulder.Tongue

Seriously though, I can shoot a lot longer and still feel great after wearing this shoulder pad. We ordered it from Cabela's and it is called a Recoil Pad...cost $29.99 and comes in shotgun or rifle style, left handed or right handed. Ours is right hand rifle. It is money well spent IMHO.

It disburses the impact more on your entire shoulder than focusing it on one spot. Never used a vest before - it's too hot in Florida to wear too much shooting apparel. Besides, I like the recoil pad - it enhances my bustline!

Here is a link to it: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...hasJS=true

[Image: 100_1662.jpg]

Hi, thanks for info on the vest.It should pose no problems for my 30-30 or .243. It looks very comfortable. I saw one at Gander mt, but this one looks so much better.I will be checking out cabela's website.by the way any time we can enhance our bustline is always a plus! thanks again alleybabe