1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Christmas Present to Myself...
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM
My Christmas Present to Myself...
So after a year or so of people telling me how great my RIA was, and the gun not living up to anything close to "great", I sold it and bought this Colt from out local Gander Mountain as a Christmas present to myself. I haven't shot it yet, but I am friends with the guy at GM that sold me the gun, and he told me that the man that owned the gun was an old timer competition shooter who had died, and his wife just wanted to get rid of the gun.

It came with an extra barrel and slide. The grip area fore and aft are stippled (or whatever you call it), but other than that I don't know how original it is. All I know is that by the serial number, it's a1950's vintage.

With the "stock" slide...

[Image: colt-001.jpg]

[Image: colt-002.jpg]

[Image: colt-003.jpg]

[Image: colt-004.jpg]

[Image: colt-005.jpg]

[Image: colt-006.jpg]

[Image: colt-007.jpg]

[Image: colt-008.jpg]

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM
RE: My Christmas Present to Myself...
With the target slide...

[Image: colt-009.jpg]

[Image: colt-010.jpg]

[Image: colt-011.jpg]

[Image: colt-012.jpg]

[Image: colt-013.jpg]

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
12-25-2011, 09:02 AM
That is a sweet Colt,Thumbup2 and I sure wish I could afford one. And to get one from the 50's which would probably mean it did service in Korea(in a stock configuration) is outstanding. You got some very good options on that gun with the target sight, target slide, and stipling on hand grip. Stipling is a process of roughing up the metal in such a way as to make it not slippery in the hand, just like stipling a car's tire to give it a better grip on the road in inclimate weather. Do you know from the seller(GM) if any internal components were changed out, since the owner was a pistol competitor? That would make for some very nice accuracy in a precise trigger pull. Enjoy that great piece of shooting history. I noticed that the "C" in the serial number seems differently stamped(struck). Would this mean that it's converted to a Civilian model or a Competition model, or something different altogether? I ask because it does say Government model on slide.
Del
Find all posts by this user
12-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Del. Prior to mid 1950 civilian Colt 1911's had a cerial number with a "C" prefix. Somewhere mid 1950 they started putting the "C" at the end of the cerial number. Mine is a later 1950's version.

Picked up 200 rounds of 45ACP yesterday so maybe tomorrow the wife and I will go out and put some lead down the barrels. Can't wait!

Ken

Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!