1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Got a "NEW" Savage AXIS that's RARE
10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Wink Got a "NEW" Savage AXIS that's RARE
Having a couple semi-auto 22 rifles already, I decided it was time to get a good little bolt action 22. I choose a Savage AXIS. Now this isn't your normal Savage, in that it is a combination of the model MKII, a 93, AND a Stevens thrown in. How Frankenstein is that? It starts out with a MKII action, then Savage puts on a Heavy Barrel of 21" from the model 93, along with a synthetic stock. They don't stop there, they then use a Stevens trigger, instead of the Accu-Trigger. When getting rifle home I mounted a scope, a BSA "Sweet 17" and ran a couple rounds through it at 75yds. Scope doesn't work well for this rifle, so I change it out for a Bushnell 4-16x40A/O with illuminated crosshairs AND holdover dots. Scope works very well and glass is crisp and clear. Rifle at 75yds was holding a 5shot grouping, once I found that it liked CCI 36gr Mini-Mag that I could cover with a Quarter, while using stock trigger. Very good for hunting. Took rifle back into house and got out tools and took off synthetic stock to get at trigger and trimmed off 2 coils of spring. Now I've gone from a stock 8# trigger to a 3 or 4# trigger, which is very safe, but easier to make paper shots, which now will group smaller than a dime. I had some Miller, medium scope rings to use, but I'm gonna change these out because they're windage adjustable and NOT very good, for what they make you think to believe, in that they'll bend/torque your scope tube if not very careful with installation. I'm gonna go with either, some trusted Weaver Quad-Locks or Weaver Grand Slam rings for dependability and strength, especially after the small hunt I just had. You'll also notice that I said this Savage is an AXIS. They don't show this on their Website, and all Axis models are "centerfire" models. Found out from Savage that this is because, this rifle was a speciality, "made to order" model for a large Outdoor Supply chain back East by name of Ellett Brother's(they choose name) and rifle model #0134920 and is only 1 of 300 made for 2011. Got for $200 at my local gun dealer. Savage makes claims of building some very accurate, well built rifles, and this AXIS model is no exception when set up correctly. It's a keeper.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
RE: Got a "NEW" Savage AXIS that's RARE
That's too awesome. I love finding stuff like that. So where are the pictures of this rare beauty? Without pictures, you know it's all talk...

Thumbup2

Congrats! Sounds like a really awesome rifle.

Cheers

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
RE: Got a "NEW" Savage AXIS that's RARE
Promise I'll get some pics, but I need to get to Town tomorrow Morning after work, and get some new scope rings and do a remount and zeroing in which I'll also show some target pics as to how well this rifle shoots.
Del
Find all posts by this user