1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ruger 77/22mag---Switch-a-roo
04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Ruger 77/22mag---Switch-a-roo
This was quite a weekend. I decided that I don't shoot my custom Ruger 77/22 magnum enough to have it built the way it is right now, because I really needed a good squirrel, crow, varmint rifle that reaches out a little further than your plain 22LR. It's the picture I have in my Avitar this moment. Besides, it can be changed back to "full custom" in a matter of 20 minutes. I changed it back to a somewhat stock configuration, BUT improved as a hunting rifle. I changed the custom stock back to the factory laminate. I have the stock 22mag tapered barrel and was gonna use it, but I checked my bull barrels, and was SHOCKED that they fit the factory stock barrel channel, so I changed out the 22Magnum barrel that was attached to the action, over to my 17HMR barrel and joined everything back up to the stock. I kept the target trigger installed, as it's so much safer/better than the factory "heavy" trigger. Makes for a little extra hunting weight, but boy this thing is so balanced when I free handed it a few times to test it's shouldering capabilities. Also got a new scope for it. It's a Simmons 44Mag 4-12x44 with side focus. This scope is the "Master Series" model and falls just under the Aztec model of scope, which is Simmons best model. Very surprised at the clarity and light gathering ability of this scope. I COULD SEE and COUNT Angus cattle on neighbor's property after Sun went down, at over 250yds, that I couldn't make out with naked eyes. Hope it gives years of dependability like the older Simmons models. I'll get some pics real quick, but wind is a little strong, so I didn't get outside with my new combination to throw any lead around to see how she shoots. Hope Sunday's better with weather, because I need to get a couple other rifles out and get them on paper before any big hunts.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 06:33 AM
RE: Ruger 77/22mag---Switch-a-roo
(04-09-2011 09:36 PM)Delbert Wrote:  ...I'll get some pics real quick, but wind is a little strong, so I didn't get outside with my new combination to throw any lead around to see how she shoots. Hope Sunday's better with weather, because I need to get a couple other rifles out and get them on paper before any big hunts.
Del

Wow, sounds awesome! So you built yourself a Groundhawg Sniper Rifle, did'ja? Can't wait to see pictures and a carnage report. Too cool!

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
        Here's a pic of rifle and target I did at 75yds. Just a little more tweaking of scope should give me those good head shots out to 150yds with ease.
Del
04-13-2011, 05:50 AM
That is one pretty rifle! I'm a sucker for Laminate Stocks to begin with, but that is SCHWEET!

Thumbup2

But it must now shoot too goodly... What? You couldn't hit that Nickel? Shheeesh!

Roflblack

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
LOL. I was actually thinking that "Ken will say something about not being able to hit the nickel" when I show this pic. Two great minds thinking alike. Would of liked to of been able to of gotten closer to the circle under the nickel, but was just shouldering free-hand with rifle over a tree limb without a gun rest, so I guess with a gun rest and shooting table, and not wobbling all over place, I probably can probably take out the center of the nickel with this setup and 5 shots. UHMMM, gonna have to try that---5 shots inside of Nickel at 75yds. How would that be with marksmanship? Problem with 17's like 22's, there's always that flyer, and with factory ammo, there's nothing really consistant. Still worth a try. Or try 5--1 shot rounds at 5 different pennies. That would be do-able also. I have that little 22LR Ruger 10/22(one I redid the stock on last Winter) that I would shoot the colored push pins(@50yds) after I was done with target. Tips of those are about the size of a small nail head. I think I need to build me a large picnic table and use it as a combination shooting table, where I have lots of room to shoot from and having it stable, but portable where I shoot from a couple different positions of back yard.
Del
Del