1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which Caliber would you Choose?
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Which Caliber would you Choose?
OK, most of you know that I have a Hi-Point in 9mm. Well they now have a 40S&W model out now, with a 45ACP coming out later in year. The question I pose to ya'll is which caliber would you choose if you was to use it for deer hunts at a range of 75yds or less. I don't/haven't shot either caliber, but I've seen a few velocity/penetration/ballistic performances on these 2 calibers, but in the real world of hunting, things aren't what they really can be. I'm leaning more towards the 40S&W with it's better penetration, higher velocity and shock ballistics, but the 45ACP will give a larger wound, which generally leads to heavier bleed-out, BUT is slower on velocity, has me stumped as to which caliber would be better in the woods. What say ye? Also is either of these calibers available in +P or +P+ velocities as the Hi-Points can take the charges. Also remember that a carbine will give around 200 to 500 ft/s more than a pistol in said caliber will give in velocities due to better powder burn.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
RE: Which Caliber would you Choose?
(04-23-2010 11:02 PM)Delbert Wrote:  OK, most of you know that I have a Hi-Point in 9mm. Well they now have a 40S&W model out now, with a 45ACP coming out later in year. The question I pose to ya'll is which caliber would you choose if you was to use it for deer hunts at a range of 75yds or less. ...

I think at 75 Yards a 45 would do just fine. I tihink that's the one I would go with for this application, but the 40 would probably also work just fine. You might just have to be a bit more precise on your shot with the 40.

With all of this said, I have no experiance with either, nor the Hi-Point. So in actuality, you probably know better than I do... Tongue

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2015, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 01:31 PM by rifleman.)
(04-24-2010 06:54 AM)alleydude Wrote:  
(04-23-2010 11:02 PM)Delbert Wrote:  OK, most of you know that I have a Hi-Point in 9mm. Well they now have a 40S&W model out now, with a 45ACP coming out later in year. The question I pose to ya'll is which caliber would you choose if you was to use it for deer hunts at a range of 75yds or less. ...

I think at 75 Yards a 45 would do just fine. I tihink that's the one I would go with for this application, but the 40 would probably also work just fine. You might just have to be a bit more precise on your shot with the 40.

With all of this said, I have no experiance with either, nor the Hi-Point. So in actuality, you probably know better than I do... Tongue

I suggest you do as I have , find a local dealer who will let U test fire both for comparison then decide
which U can use effectivly.
04-18-2015, 02:52 PM
That's the problem with most shops, especially in my area, is that they don't have test guns. It's buy now, then you're on your own. Ammo is getting too expensive and it's too expensive to have test guns in calibers that most of us want. I hunt, so I have many different calibers that give me good results according to the terrain I'm hunting. Pistol calibers are great for close-up brush areas where you still want good knock down with the lighter loads for shots under 50yds, but don't need over kill that a 30-06 rifle gives for such close range.