1 user browsing this thread: (0 members, and 1 guest). 1 Guest(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
More tests on Hi-Point
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
More tests on Hi-Point
A little wind breeze, but I did some more testing out the new 995TS carbine I just purchased. First off I didn't realize when I bought the ammo that 9mm came in 50rd boxes instead of 20 round that I normally see with centerfire ammo. That's good because, with this little critter you'll have so much fun, you'll need all the ammo you can lay your hands on. Anyway I wound up purchasing 250 rounds instead of 100 rounds that I thought I had and at less than $13 a box, it's fairly cheap fun over a 22LR. Anyway on to the serious testing. I first off did a lazer-bore sighting on rifle at around 15ft just to get close. I then loaded up rifle and stepped off distance of 50ft and fired into tree stump to do final alignment of TRUGLO reddot scope. Scope is very capable for this model of gun. I'll do a write up on it in the "scope section" for forum.
So far rifle has PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY for a new gun and I've now put 30 rounds down it's tube. I know, not many, but give me time. Now that I've got a "stump zombie" killing under my belt, I noticed a limb sticking about 3" out of nearby pond. WhooHooo, more zombie killing. I walked over to other side of pond and I was now about 35yds from limb sticking up. I fired off a couple rounds and saw, I was a couple inches over target. I readjusted scope and next 10 shots was right on in area. Good for another kill. I now move on to try some "DOUBLE TAPS". I put the dot on target and pump trigger twice. Well, that takes some getting used to with double recoils of gun. I practice some more and I double tapped 10 rounds down pike without a hiccup once. You'll find the second shot is well off mark by 6 to 12", but that's to be expected as double tapping is not a normal thing.On last round down barrel, the bolt will lock open(nice touch for a reload). I decided to try something most people don't think of. I held rifle barrel vertical to ground(90*) to see if I could eject magazine. Performed flawless. Of course the gun's magazine feed is in the hand hold of gun at an angle, but still with just a simple push of the magazine button, the mag falls out with ease. I found the trigger is a little curvy for my finger. Wished it were more straighter in that I like to put my finger more towards the bottom portion of trigger to get a better/quicker shot, by using the trigger guard to guide my finger. The trigger safety is a little hard to get to in that it isn't on the trigger guard, but under the charger bolt and behind the hand hold(magazine well), so it's easy to forget and if you have short fingers, you'll find you need 2 hands to work the safety. My hands and fingers are long and large enough, that I could do it with the trigger hand, but you might find that a lot of people will need 2 hands(one to hold gun and one hand to work the safety). Not too big a deal, but could be for some. I found the recoil to be a bit more than a 22magnum rifle yet milder than a 410 shotgun. You will probably find that youngsters/women will like this rifle with ease of use, light weight(7lbs), short shoulder stock, but they will find that loading the magazine clip is tough, in that the mag's spring is very stiff and after about 5 rounds will get to be difficult to get those last few rounds in it. Charging handle is on heavy side and bolt needs to be open in order to load ammo magazine, then charging bolt is released under it's owner power to load shell into chamber. If you do this easy, you'll find that you'll hang up the shell on the feed ramp. I'm very picky about purchasing firearms that most person wouldn't pick because they normally associate quality, with higher priced guns, but for less than $250 the Hi-Point 995TS is a rifle I think you'll enjoy owning for years to come and with a "LIFETIME WARRANTY", that if sold or inherited, can be passed onto subsequent owners', it's worth adding to a person's arsenal.
Del
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2010, 05:15 PM
RE: More tests on Hi-Point
Sounds like a great gun for the price, and if you can find the Winchester 100 rd. value boxes for around $25 each, you'll really save on your ammo bills!

I am seriously thinking about getting one of these sooner or later. Thanks for the write up and test.

Thumbup2

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Quote:
"I am seriously thinking about getting one of these sooner or later. Thanks for the write up and test."

Yeah, now I'm thinkin I gotta go out and get one too...
The red dot scope has got to make target aquisition very fast and easy.
03-01-2010, 06:55 AM
(02-28-2010 11:29 PM)gnepig Wrote:  Quote:
"I am seriously thinking about getting one of these sooner or later. Thanks for the write up and test."

Yeah, now I'm thinkin I gotta go out and get one too...
The red dot scope has got to make target aquisition very fast and easy.

I think we all just need to admit that we all want ONE OF EVERYTHING. That's all. Good, bad, otherwise, just let me have one of each.

Is that asking too much?

Ken

Firearms Price Guide...For What It's Worth.
Join Us On Facebook!
Check Out Our Blog!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Get 'em while they're hot. These 995TS models are FLYING off the shelves and most dealer's who carry Hi-Point don't have them in stock due to their overall good design/fun factor/and word getting out on street as to how well these things hold up. Also, due to make it's debut in March will be one chambered in 40S&W. Supposedly, in May of 2010, will be one chambered in 45ACP. Just like Ken said: I want "one of everything". There are other options on this gun that might appeal to somebody. That would be to get the "OLDER" 995 model for less than $150 and change to the ATI stock and even if you have trouble with it, just send it back to Hi-Point and get it rebuilt for free and you have a new gun returned to you, with a free magazine for your troubles.
Del